Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Review: Cankered Roots by G.G Vandagriff


Cankered Roots – New Edition: Book 1 of Alex & Briggie Series
Alexandra Campbell, a spunky young widow, partnered with Brighamina Poulson, an even spunkier, rifle-toting grandmother thinks that as they have begun a genealogy business (RootSearch, Inc.), it is high time she finds out her family secret. Something went wrong in her family during her adolescence, changing her mother from a Chicago North Shore matron into an alcoholic and a doting father into a workaholic. The moment she graduated from High School, she was sent to the Sorbonne in Paris with a generous bank account and instructions not to return.
It is now fifteen years since she has seen her parents, and she intends to lay the ghost that has separated her family for good. However, as usual in Alex’s unpredictable life, things do not go as planned. After an acrimonious fight with her once beloved father, she leaves with only a wallet-sized photograph of a woman she knows nothing about.
That night, Alex’s father is killed. Bewildered and grieved that her family can never be whole again, she soon finds out that she is the chief suspect in the murder. With the unflappable Briggie at her side, she uses all her new genealogical skills, and (with the help of Briggie’s deer rifle) discovers a secret so bizarre that she finally understands why her parents wanted her far away and safe.
Join Alex and Briggie in the first of their hair-raising adventures!
Buy Cankered Roots on Amazon. (paperback and Kindle versions)
Buy Cankered Roots for your Nook


My Thoughts:
This is a new Author and genre for me, I wasn't to sure how I would like this book as it's got a lot of geneology to it. I was pleasantly surprised as it was filled with mystery as well, the blurb of the novel peeked my interest and I'm very glad it did as I was thrilled reading it. 

Having not read this type of book before I took a little bit for me to get into, but, once I did it took off like a bullet and I could not put it down. I loved GG's style of writing, I really loved how she mixed mystery with history and geneology, it really made for a fantastic mix along with the character's she has created and also adding in the LDS religion that Briggie introduced to Alex, only added more to the mystery. I found it interesting with trying to figure out the family history, I related to that part, with my own quest to try and figure out my mom and dad's family history/tree to see where I come from in the geneology aspect of things. 

Alex is my favorite character. I am really looking forward to reading more of these characters and what is in store for them next. I am happy to recommend this book to all and I can't wait for the next book. 

I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did!!!  Enjoy!!!


There will be a premium for anyone who takes advantage of our low prices during the tour and buys books on Amazon or BN.com. (Remember Christmas is coming up).  You will get a signed bookplate for each book or e-book purchased, if you send me your address via the contact page on this site.
 There is a variety here that should tickle anyone’s fancy!  The Only Way to Paradise is a women’s fiction/romance–the tale of four women who ditch their therapist and journey to Florence for hope and healing. The award-winning historical epic romance The Last Waltz: A Novel of Love and War embraces the period 1913-1938 in Vienna. A genealogical mystery,Cankered Roots is the first in a series featuring the off-beat team of two wacky widows who have started RootSearch,Inc. The Arthurian Omen is psychological suspense at its height, taking place among the ruined castles and monasteries of Wales. (For more detail, see Books on this site)
Below is the tour schedule.  There will be interviews, blog posts, and giveaways, so be sure to follow along.  It’s going to be fun! Click on the blog’s name to visit.

3 comments:

  1. Great review. This sounds like one I would like to read, also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the terrific review. In just a couple of days, Of Deadly Descent will be out at a cheaper price with a great new cover! (On Amaazon, the e-book is already on Nook)

    Thanks again, Natalie,
    GG

    ReplyDelete